Re: FHS section 3.8: /opt/<package>/

Alan,

I'm a little slow sometimes, so correct me if I'm wrong.   :-)   The FHS
states that "add-on application software packages" such as "foo" are
installed in /opt/foo/bin/foo with a symbolic link from /opt/bin/foo.
Configuration would be in /etc/opt and variable files would be in /var/opt.
I don't see how /opt applications are treated differently than /usr/bin
applications, except they are segregated from the base OS.   Therefore NFS
exporting /opt add-on applications should work fine as long as /etc/opt and
/var/opt are configured correctly.

The FHS states that no software packages are to be installed under the /usr
hierarchy; therefore, my interpretation is that add-on applications are
*required* to be installed in /opt, and not /usr nor /usr/local.   Is this
not the case?

Back to my original inquiry:

How does one resolve /opt conflicts between similar packages being released
from separate sources?    What does one do if there are two or more java,
cc, etc?

/opt/java/, /opt/vendor1/java/, /opt/vendor2/java/, and /opt/vendorN/java/

or

/opt/java/, /opt/java/vendor1/, /opt/java/vendor2/, and /opt/java/vendorN/

Does the later require a name registry?   What is the rule for who gets the
primary /opt/<package>/?

http://www.pathname.com/fhs/2.0/fhs-3.8.html

Thanks,

PS:  I don't see a FHS email distribution list on
http://www.pathname.com/fhs/  Is there one?

George (gk4)

Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk> on 02/16/2000 03:46:55 PM