Re: PROPOSAL for FHS revised : Mount points for CDs, floppies and alien OS partitions.]

OK, I've got one last thing to point out and then I'll shut up about
this.

On Tue, Jun 20, 2000 at 03:02:12PM +0200, Johannes Poehlmann wrote:

> Problem:
> ========
>
> There is no defined/legal place, where cdroms, floppies or
> alien OS partitions go to.
>
> Suse uses	    /floppy, /cdrom etc.

So does Debian (what I use), and possibly slackware, IIRC (it's been 5
years since I've touched it).

> Caldera uses	    /mnt/floppy, /mnt/floppy.

So does Red Hat, and possibly Mandrake, since it was originally based on
Debian.

AFAIK these are the two most widely used schemes, with /mnt/* probably
being more popular due to the combination of Caldera's, Red Hat's, and
possibly Mandrake's market shares.

> There are configurations, where it is not desirable to have
> these mount points located in the root directory. When using
> the auto mounter, the root directory can be "taken over" and
> be blocked. This makes it desirable to put the mount points
> into a subdirectory.

Sounds like a perfectly reasonable rationale for not using /floppy,
/cdrom, etc.

> "/mnt" is reserved as a temporary mount point and not as
> a directory of mount points by common practice.

This is not correct.  I don't know how many people use /mnt as a
temporary mount point, but using it as a directory of mount points is
_very_ common.  In fact, I'm a little surprised that you said it's not
common practice given that obviously two or three of the most popular
Linux distributions use it as such, and this was pointed out in earlier

> Proposed Solution:
>
> There may be a new subdirectory "/mounts". [...]

If this must be standardized, please pick something that's already in
use by a large number of people instead of inventing a scheme that zero
people use right now.  In other words, use /mnt/*.  Using /mnt/*
disrupts those distributions and users who don't already use it.  Using
/mounts disrupts everyone.

	Brian