(Fwd) bug in tar specification or implementations?

hi,
While putting together the test for the existence of tar
for the LSB FHS test suite. I came across the following
inconsistency between spec and many implementations. I've
raised this with the UNIX standard group and thought I'd
flag it here to.
regards
Andrew

--- Forwarded mail from ajosey@rdg.opengroup.org (Andrew Josey)

Subject: bug in tar specification or implementations?

The tar man page says:

v(Verbose.) Write to standard error the name of each file processed,
preceded by a string indicating the operation being performed....

Yet if I do the following:

touch tfile
tar cvf tfile.tar tfile 2>/dev/null

I see different behaviour on different systems:

HP-UX does the right thing according to the specs and I get no output.

UnixWare 2.1.2, Solaris 2.6, Solaris 2.7, AIX 4.3.1 and GNU tar output
to stdout rather than stderr.

I know that its Legacy - but thought I'd flag this inconsistency
regards
Andrew

-----
Andrew Josey                                The Open Group
Base WG Chair                               Apex Plaza,Forbury Road,
Email: a.josey@opengroup.org                Reading,Berks.RG1 1AX,England
Tel:   +44 118 9508311 ext 2250             Fax: +44 118 9500110

---End of forwarded mail from ajosey@rdg.opengroup.org (Andrew Josey)