Re: PROPOSAL: standard run levels (draft 1)

On Fri, Apr 02, 1999 at 10:59:10AM -0800, Daniel Quinlan wrote:
> Robert Current <rob@current.nu> writes:
>
> > One possability: Find the most common run levels in all Linux
> > distributions, and leave those in place.  Then shuffle the rest of
> > them to fit.  For example, if all distributions use 5 for xdm, then
> > keep 5 as xdm (but Debian doesn't use it that way).  If five
> > distributions have the same run level 4, keep it... etc.
>
> I think this is the best option.  If anyone has info on other
> distributions (Caldera, Pacific Hitech, etc.), please go ahead and
> post it.

Caldera's run levels for OpenLinux 1.3 looks like (from /etc/inittab):

# The runlevels used by COL are:
#   0 - halt (Do NOT set initdefault to this)
#   1 - Single user mode (including initialisation of network interfaces,
#       if you do have networking)
#   2 - Multiuser, (without NFS-Server und some such)
#       (basically the same as 3, if you do not have networking)
#   3 - Full multiuser mode
#   4 - unused
#       (should be equal to 3, for now)
#   5 - X11
#   6 - reboot (Do NOT set initdefault to this)

Kurt