Re: PROPOSAL: Cron jobs (draft 2)

Erik Troan <ewt@redhat.com> writes:

> If they aren't scripts, registering them as config files doesn't make any
> sense.
>
> I wonder if this whole paragraph is necessary? This isn't meant to be a
> style guide after all.

These cron jobs are located in /etc -- I think they are configuration
files and should be specified that way.  Binaries still don't belong
in /etc just because we're talking about possibly commercial applications.

I think allowing binary executables in /etc is a bad idea.

After all, nobody is prevented from calling a binary executable in a
two-line shell script:

  #!/bin/sh
  exec /opt/mypackage/bin/mycronbinary ${1+"$@"}

Dan