Re: Source packages?

From: Stuart Anderson <anderson@metrolink.com>
> On Thu, 2 Sep 1999, James Dingwall wrote:
>
> > Additionally, since many packages are now using the ./configure method
> > configure themselves, it would be nice to know how the current version
of the

> This brings up an interesting point. Does it make sense for an LSB
complient
> application to build itself when installed? This seems like it would
> defeate the purpose of shipinga tested/verified executable.

I see very few legitimate reasons to have applications build themselves
on installation.  Shadow used to have forty zillion compile time options.
Chip Rosenthal and I worked to get rid of those by adding the login.defs
file.  Has anyonen approached the current package maintainers to see
about using a similar strategy and dump the recompilation requirement
for those which still have it?

-- Julie.