Re: shared font directory and font installation

Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk> writes:

> Finally some font systems have versioning rules of their own.

Do you mean that because font systems have their own rules of
precedence, we have another reason to not specify the search order?

One other question: what about font systems that don't have any
architecture-specific fonts?  Should we force them to look in
/usr/lib/fonts?

My redraft of Alan's /usr/lib/fonts:

    /usr/lib/fonts : directory for architecture-specific shared fonts

    This shall be used in the same manner as /usr/share/fonts save that
    architecture-specific fonts shall be stored here.  Architecture-specific
    fonts must not go into /usr/share/fonts.  However, fonts that are only
    optimized for a specific architecture or byte-order may be placed in
    /usr/share/fonts if the fonts will work on any architecture or
    byte-order.

    Compliant font libraries should search /usr/lib/fonts and
    /usr/share/fonts for fonts.  The search order is not specified.

    BEGIN_RATIONALE

    Some font systems perform better with native formatted copies of a font
    so it is desirable to allow those systems to use /usr/lib/fonts first.
    Other font systems see no benefit and those systems benefit from using
    /usr/share/fonts first so the same precise fonts are used as other
    machines on a network.