Re: Anyone working on the rc.d installer problem?

   Date: Thu, 5 Nov 1998 12:51:55 +0100 (MET)
   From: Burchard Steinbild <bs@suse.de>

   I'd like to avoid to start a discussion, why we did it this way or if it's
   usefull or so on.  I posted this, to say what we have at the moment.

   We're here to fix those problems.  This means that everybody has to make
   changes.  This point is obviously one, where we have to change our
   distribution.

I would tend agree that's it's probably better for SUSE to change your
distribution, but it's also clear that we will be better off having our
rc install tool use abstract names for the run levels, since clearly
different distributions are using slightly different meanings for the
various run levels.

						- Ted

P.S.  I'm also kicking about in my mind the possibility of making it
easy for the user to define their own run levels, so they could
customize their system more easily.  (For example, on my laptop I have a
run level 7 which is what I use when I'm using my laptop on an airplane,
where I'm disconnected from the network and AC power, and I want to do
everything possible to cut my power consumption.)