Re: useradd

Johannes Poehlmann writes:
> On Wed, Feb 14, 2001 at 05:29:05PM +1100, Christopher Yeoh wrote:
> > specification?
>
> When standardizing the -r switch, we should
>
> o standardize it´s behaviour or
> o ask marek to put it in the mainstream version and declare mareks
>   way to do it as the standard.
> o Freeze the interface to a certain upstream version.

A starting point for standardising its behaviour could be this excerpt
from a man page:

       -r     This flag is used to create a system account. That is,  an  user
              with   an   UID   lower   than   value  of  UID_MIN  defined  in
              /etc/login.defs. Note that useradd will not create a home direc­
              tory  for  such  an  user,  regardless of the default setting in
              /etc/login.defs.  You have to specify -m option if  you  want  a
              home  directory  for a system account to be created.  This is an
              option added by Red Hat.

It probably needs some extra work - eg it doesn't specify what happens
if all the UID's less than UID_MIN are already taken.

Chris.
--
cyeoh@linuxcare.com.au
Support Open Source Ice-Cream