Re: 'DEM ', 'FRF ' no longer valid in int_curr_symbol

On Mar 4,  2:27pm in "Re: 'DEM ', 'FRF ' n", Matt Wilson wrote:
> The only place that the iso-4217 table is used is in localedef.
> Applications will still be handling monetary symbols as they always
> have, it has nothing to do with a locale.  The locale data as shipped
> should reflect Real Life as closely as possible at the time of
> shipping, and provided as updates (patches) as time goes on, IMHO.
>
> All this prevents us from doing is something like de_DE@deutschmark
> locale which has a default int_curr_symbol as 'DEM '.  Were would this
> be useful?

Well  I have one application that does create its own locales:-),
and does follow POSIX 1003.1-1996 and POSIX1003.1-2001 and
SUSv2 and SUSv3 and that uses DEM and FRF.  This is broken
right now by these changes in glibc. This issue is now being discussed
by the Austin Group who own the POSIX specification. I can also
imagine that there might be financial applications who might want to
continue in Deutschmarks processing historical data. Personally
I would prefer implementations of localedef to allow locales
with any data in this field, there being a recommended
usage that they follow the ISO conventions, I find it difficult
to understand why we'd want to restrict user defined symbols and therefore
forbid future extensibility .

regards
Andrew