RE: why does using su cause the tests to fail

> At 2002/6/19 11:09-0700  Sean 'Shaleh' Perry writes:
> > Can anyone explain why using su - user to the test account is not
> > sufficient to run some tests?
>
> One example is the "POSIX.os/procenv/getlogin 1" test which expects
> the user logged in to the controlling terminal to be the same user as
> the one running the test suite.

I was pursuing this sequence:

log in as root
set up bind-mount of /proc in SI
chroot to SI running /bin/login
log in as vsx0 in chroot
su to root
mount /dev/shm and /dev/pts
drop back to vsx0
run_tests

The above referenced test fails, with the failure Chris notes,
so apparently it's able to dig deeper and find out that
root was the original login.

If I started the sequence by logging in as vsx0
on the original vt, would it work okay?  Or do
we need to pursue another approach for "logging in",
namely providing a telnetd or sshd inside the chroot?

Mats