Debian-Installer pre-rc2, a technology preview release
September 30th, 2004
The pre-rc2 release is a preview of new features we hope to add to the next release candidate. This release is an opportunity to get some wider testing of our most recent improvements to the installer before we declare it stable and ready for the release of sarge.
In the nearly two months since the release of rc1, we've made a number of improvements to the installer, including:
- Support for completely automated installs via debconf database preseeding.
- Online resizing of NTFS filesystems.
- Support for booting from LVM.
- Support for booting from software RAID 1 (experimental).
- Software RAID 5.
- 2.4.27 and 188.8.131.52 kernels.
- Support for piles of additional hardware.
- Fixed all of the errata of rc1.
- Installs possible with at little as 24 mb of memory.
- Two months of improvements to the software in Debian sarge.
- More other improvements than we could list here in a week.
This version of the installer is not suitable to be used as the final installer for the Debian sarge release; it may have rough edges and not all the translations are up-to-date. It should work fine for most people, and we welcome your installation reports.
Links to bootable images and documentation are on our web site.