- Current Status
- General Information about
- Available Hardware for Debian Developers
- Contact information
The MIPS port is actually two ports, debian-mips and debian-mipsel. They differ in the endianness of the binaries. MIPS CPUs are able to run at both endiannesses, but since that's normally not changeable in software, we need to have both architectures. SGI machines run in big-endian mode (debian-mips) while the Cobalt Qube/RaQ run in little-endian mode (debian-mipsel). Some boards, such as Broadcom's BCM91250A evaluation board (aka SWARM) can run in both modes, selectable by a switch on the board.
Debian GNU/Linux 6.0.9 supports the following machines:
- SGI Indy with R4x00 and R5000 CPUs, and Indigo2 with R4400 CPU (IP22).
- SGI O2 with R5000, R5200 and RM7000 CPU (IP32).
- Broadcom BCM91250A (SWARM) evaluation board (big and little-endian).
- Cobalt RaQ, Qube2 and RaQ2.
- MIPS Malta boards (big and little-endian, 32 and 64-bit).
- Loongson 2e and 2f machines, including the Yeelong laptop (little-endian).
- Cavium Octeon (big-endian).
gabrielli.debian.org (mips) is available to Debian developers for porting work. Please see the machine database for more information about this machine. In general, you will be able to use the three chroot environments: stable, testing and unstable. You can use the dchroot program to access them. For any inquiries mail firstname.lastname@example.org. Accounts on other machines are available on request by contacting LIU Qi email@example.com (Lemote machines).
This is a list of people who are working on the MIPS port:
- Guido Guenther
- Aurelien Jarno
- Florian Lohoff
- Karsten Merker
- Martin Michlmayr
- Peter De Schrijver
- Andi Barth
There are a couple of mailing lists dealing with Linux/MIPS and especially Debian on MIPS.
- firstname.lastname@example.org — This list deals with Debian on MIPS.
Subscribe via mail to email@example.com.
The archive is at lists.debian.org.
- firstname.lastname@example.org — This list is for discussions about
MIPS kernel supports.
See the Linux/MIPS page for subscription information.
- Linux/MIPS kernel development — Lots of related information about MIPS
- CPU Vendor
- Information about SGI hardware
- Debian on Cobalt machines
- Debian on SGI Indy
- Debian on SGI Indy
- Debian on SGI O2
Thiemo Seufer, who was the lead MIPS porter in Debian, got killed in a
car accident. We dedicate the release of the
lenny distribution to his memory.