Re: Plans to make dbootstrap/base-config easier and as automated as possible

On Wed, May 24, 2000 at 10:23:13AM -0700, Christoph Lameter wrote:
> On Wed, 24 May 2000, Ben Collins wrote:
>
> > > quiet	1. Switch off splash screen.
> >
> > I seriously object to this. Our splash screen is where we basically
> > congratulate ourselves for doing a good job and tell the user who we are.
>
> There are effectively two splash screens. One from syslinux and one from
> bootstrap. Is that really necessary? Each time the user has to press a
> key.

Ahh, I forgot about the syslinux prompt (coming from a sparc world). On
sparc, you cannot bypass the silo splash screen since it actually asks you
a question. Doing what you want here though makes the CDROM useless as a
rescue image though. All the user needs to do is press enter.

> > > 	2. Do not ask about pre-2.2 compatibility during mkext2 dialog (assume no)
> >
> > No, assume "yes". Compatibility is good.
>
> You really assume its likely that people run 2.0.X kernels?
> "compatibility" causes non-sparse mkext2 formatting right?

They may be installing Debian on a dual boot system along side an older
Linux. That linux may be using a 2.0.x kernel and they might want that
compatibility.

> > Base-config is after reboot. The parameters to dboostrap do not affect
> > this.
>
> I thought dbootstrap passes parameters to base-config via a file?

That's true. You'll need to bug Joey about this. It does make sense that
if you did the install using cdrom, then base-config can assume you still
have it to finish the install.

> > > 	3. Aviod prompts in base-config to insert CD-Rom if it is already inserted.
> >
> > Inserting the CDROM is coming from apt, and those should not be avoided.
>
> Why prompt for a CD if its already in the drive?

Because it check the CDROM can cause problems if there is nothing in
there? Talk to Jason about this one.

> Indeed that might be desired if I want to hand out the batch of CDs at a
> LUG in San Francisco f.e. or generate a CD for a special person.

s/prompts/prompt/

It could be convenient, but it doesn't hurt anything to have one prompt.

> > > copycd			copy the cd /dists contents to /dists on the target
> > > 			partition. For a Credit card size cd the /dists is
> > > 			about 15-20Meg. Copying to HD avoids another insertion of the CD
> > > 			in base-config.
> >
> > And make there need to be more space, and config options...
>
> There is enough space. HDs are >>>GBs these days.

Harddrive != partition, which is what you are installing onto, which is of
arbitrary and potentially small size.