Re: [Rainer Dorsch <rainer@rai16.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de>] Re: New install / loopback device

On Sun, Jun 18, 2000 at 02:14:24PM -0400, Adam Di Carlo wrote:

> > > /etc/init.d/network has never been known by dpkg, btw, it used
> > > to be created by boot-floppies, and never touched after. Now it's
> > > /etc/network/interfaces instead. See the manpages referenced above.
> >
> > Thanks for the quick reply. It seems that all the upgraded systems use
> > /etc/init.d/network, e.g.
> >
> > #! /bin/sh
> > ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1
> > route add -net 127.0.0.0
> > IPADDR=129.69.183.16
> > NETMASK=255.255.255.0
> > NETWORK=129.69.183.0
> > BROADCAST=129.69.183.255
> > GATEWAY=129.69.183.254
> > ifconfig eth0 ${IPADDR} netmask ${NETMASK} broadcast ${BROADCAST}
> > route add -net ${NETWORK}
> > [ "${GATEWAY}" ] && route add default gw ${GATEWAY} metric 1
> >

> > Is the user supposed to migrate the settings manually from /etc/init.d/network
> > to /etc/network/interfaces?
>
> Yes, take a look at /var/lib/dpkg/info/netbase.postinst.  The netbase
> maintainer decided (wisely, IMHO) not to attempt to handle this
> automatically.
>
> As I read that postinst, that file should have some info added to it
> on how to manually do the migration.
>
> > If yes, this should be documented in the upgrade release notes.
>
> I agree.

The network file will continue to work after the upgrade[1]. The new method
is nicer, easier to configure and all, but the conversion to it is not at
all necessary. The netbase package upgrade has a debconf note that informs
the user about this.

[1] There is a corner case when it prints some spurious warnings after
upgrade to kernel 2.2, and that is documented in the Release Notes.