Potato installation - wrong script?

Hallo,

I'm Manfred Morgner and I tried to install potato the last days. These are
the problems, that prevents me from success:

(1)

There my be a wrong entry in any installation scriptfile. After installing
the 3 driver disks:

If I try to install the ne2k-pci driver, the install procedure tries to
open/modify (?) the modules.conf file. But it searches for it in the wrong
directory. The script is (if I remember rirght) in "/etc" but the install
script access them in "/target/etc". Meaning, leading the correct path,
there is a "/target" - text in the access info. So it is impossible to got
furter from this point.

I tried to find the file by hand using the second terminal, but there is no
file ne2* anywhere.

The installations environment ist a Pentium (I) 200 MHz and the HD is really
empty! I do not wish to install "potato" on a PC that contains ANY other OS
to prevent any kind cross conterminations.

(2)

If I ignore this problem and try to go further anyway, I can't, because the
setup tool tells me, there is a "cecksum error" between the written checksum
and the read data.

I wrote the "base-1.img" using "rawrite" on 3 different computers (Pentium
1..3) using WinNT and Win98.

Any suggestion?

Many thanx in advance,
Manfred Morgner