Re: [jcasey@gnu.org: Free Software Foundation Database]

On Wed, 17 May 2000, Janet Casey wrote:

> Thanks very much for your interest in our database. You can certainly
> go ahead and send the information in ASCII format-- that's fine. I'll
> see what I can do about getting the template put
> online. Unfortunately, I'm not a technical person myself, or I would
> just go ahead and do it.
OK, I'll do that if I'll find some free minutes ...

> A "GNU package" is one which has been reviewed by our evaluators, and
> for which the rights have been assigned to the FSF. You can contact
> Richard Stallman at rms@gnu.org if you think you might be interested.
I have to admit that I'm really less informed about such issues.
What kind of programs could/should be assigned to the FSF.  I consider
the programs I wrote myself to be not widely used and currently under
no heavy development (got a job which doesn't deal with the topic of
image processing so I continue developing my image processing software
only in my spare time).  However, I would be interested in ensuring that
my software will be free (that's why I placed it under GPL).  For instance
I don't know much about software-patents in US and (which hopefully not
will happen!!) in Europe (see current discussions today in Germany).
So would I gain any profit to assign it to FSF in this topic.

Furthermore I would like to offer some ideas which I never have seen
realized in image prozessing and which I needed for my own task
(well that's why I wrote the stuff :-) ) and I put it into Debian
distribution to make it public (after people told me that this makes
sense even if it wouldn't be widely used).  But if I look at the
GNU software database I see big and very useful programs.  So my
question is:  In what kind of programs FSF is interested in.  I do not
really know if the FSF want's its software database like to grow as
big as Debian for instance.  (OK, folks just an example, I know the
difference between Debian and FSF ...)

Was this problem in your mind when you wrote "reviewed by our evaluators"?
If not what means this evaluation?

> I hope that helps. If you have any other questions, please feel free
> to contact me.
If this questions should be considered OT here we could continue per
private mail.

Kind regards

         Andreas.