Re: Seconded, sponsored. (was Re: General Resolution: Removing non-free)

On Thu, Jun 08, 2000 at 10:02:37PM -0500, Adam Rogoyski wrote:
> On Thu, 8 Jun 2000, Jeff Licquia wrote:
> > The Debian project is now *required* by the DFSG to *package* and
> > *distribute* non-free software?  (As opposed to, say, allowing people
> > to run non-free software on Debian machines, but not provide them.)
> > So it is *logically inconsistent* for us to even *consider* not
> > distributing non-free software?
>
>    Not required, though we have commited to it, for very practical
> reasons.

I am committed to providing non-free software?  Hogwash!

Non-free is a concession, not a commitment; it is a corollary to our
commitment to our users.  Should it be no longer necessary, I expect
it to go away.

Is it no longer necessary?  That, I expect, will be decided by vote
very soon.