On Fri, Jun 09, 2000 at 01:52:31AM -0500, John Goerzen wrote:
> David Starner <dvdeug@x8b4e53cd.dhcp.okstate.edu> writes:
>
> > What an argument. This _will_ push users who need non-free software
> > to use another distribution, and I don't see how you can deny that.
>
> Geez, it takes 5 seconds to update sources.list.  What is so hard
> about it?

If there is a secondary source. If that secondary source is trustworthy.
If you can find out about that source (which maintainers have said won't
be mentioned by Debian.) If you even want to try and work with Debian,
which deliberitly chose to stop serving your needs.

> > Frankly, as the president of a Linux User Group that has used Debian
> > for Installfests, this would definetly drive me to install Stormix,
> > or Mandrake next year. For our members want Netscape and the JDK,
> > and we aren't going to win members by going fanatic about free
> > software.
>
> Debian does not ship with Netscape.  Debian does not ship with JDK.

Yes, but they're easily acessable. And probably on the CDs.

> Debian is not about numbers.  Debian is not about non-free  software.
> Debian is about Free Software.

Any project, however righteous or true, cannot afford to abandon
pragmatism, for that's ultimately a losing proposition. Debian
may not be about numbers, but that's what it takes to keep Debian
running, that's what it takes for Debian (and Free Software) to
spread.

--
David Starner - dstarner98@aasaa.ofe.org
http/ftp: x8b4e53cd.dhcp.okstate.edu