Re: (in lieu of a) Vendor field on .debs (was practical problems with GR)

Chris Lawrence <lawrencc@debian.org> writes:

> Yes, if we do pursue this GR we definitely need to get a vendor field
> or something similar into the control files.  IIRC, such a thing is
> proposed as part of the "unified package format" (whenever it comes
> about), but we probably need it now, if not yesterday (I've already
> seen bugs for Corel packages hit the BTS).

Entirely independent of the GR, a vendor field is a good idea, as is a
bug reporting methodology.  The `bug' program should be able to take
an proper package, whether it's from the Debian archive or not, and
send a bug report to the right place.