Re: New Maintainer issues

On Mon, Jun 12, 2000 at 06:14:12AM -0700, Steve Lamb wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 11, 2000 at 11:02:52PM +0000, michael d. ivey wrote:
> > > Have you considered using the method of sending in a scanned
> > > picture ID?  I remember that being in the list of four or
> > > so ID verification methods.
>
> > Unfortunately, after I did this, I was told it wasn't good enough.
>
>     I was told this over a year and a half ago and took it as a polite way of
> them telling me they didn't want me as a developer.

New maintainer is in the process of finding its feet again.  We have
now processed a number of new developers in the last month or so, the
first batch in a very long time.  It is true: the identification step
is one of the most difficult steps in the chain, but that is not
because we do not want you as developers; on the contrary, any extra
help (from someone trustworthy and competent) is valuable to the
Debian family and project.  But for the security of our users, as
developers have access to root on tens of thousands, if not millions
of machines, it was felt important to ensure that the applicants are
honest enough to tell us who they are, and to provide evidence for
this.  (The evidence would normally go just to the particular
application manager involved, the front desk (Dale Scheetz) and the
Debian account managers (James Troup and Joey/Martin Schulze).  If
this is felt to be too many, the application manager can be skipped.)

I have been an AM for an applicant who had only an unsigned GPG key
and scanned photo id.  I confirmed the photo id with someone trusted,
and that was sufficient to be confident about the applicant's
identity.  He is now a registered developer.

So I'm afraid I don't know what your individual problems were.
Michael: if you are having problems, please contact Dale
(new-maintainer@debian.org), and Steve: I know how often I see you on
these lists.  If you haven't been contacted by the new NM team and
would still like to become a registered developer, please also contact
new-maintainer@debian.org.

(BTW, at present new-maintainer is going through its backlog and
sponsored applicants.  It should be reopening fully very soon, so
everyone else: please be patient for just a little bit longer -- we're
nearly there.  And a disclaimer: I'm only an Application Manager, not
a front desk representative or whatever.)

   Julian

  Julian Gilbey, Dept of Maths, QMW, Univ. of London. J.D.Gilbey@qmw.ac.uk
        Debian GNU/Linux Developer,  see http://www.debian.org/~jdg
  Donate free food to the world's hungry: see http://www.thehungersite.com/