Re: Mutt & Mail-Followup-To header (Re: old bugs info)

On Wed, 14 Jun 2000, Marco d'Itri wrote:

> On Jun 14, Stephen Frost <sfrost@mail.snowman.net> wrote:
>
>  >	So pine is supposted to support/understand an invented mail header?
> Yes. Software can be upgraded and improved, you know?

	There are also these rather useful things called 'standards'.
Standards are there to ensure that programs interact with each other
correctly.  If you control all the programs that will interact with a
particular standard, then feel free to modify it if you like and as you
desire.
	However, when there are a number of other programs that depend on
your program being sane you should not just throw things in and make up
things as you go.  Recommendations that the standard be changed would be
much more intelligent.  Also, expecting all the other software to
understand what your program is doing outside of the standard is just
plain ridiculous.  If I wrote a MUA and declared that everyone should
use 'Reply-Here:' headers and wrote my program to do that I would expect
to be called insane.
	There are big companies who like to play games like these and
extend standards without talking to anyone else about them.  Personally
I really dislike such actions.

		Stephen