Re: My views on release management

John Lapeyre wrote:
> 	I think the perl maintainer did not realize that there was
> a directory reorganization in 5.005, so that every perl module had to
> be fixed , not just those with C code. And it also forced us to think of
> a way to handle the reorganization, which is more difficult than
> simply recompiling.

Certainly.  That's why we reversed the change, right?  There will
always be stuff that breaks unexpectedly, that's the nature of
software development.  Did I sound too optimistic in my plans? :)
There will be sufficient time for testing.

But from what I remember of those events, it was known when perl5.005
was uploaded that in any case all the modules with C code would
have to be recompiled.  In my opinion that's too much of a change
to make just before a freeze.  (I don't mean to cast blame -- I mean
to change the view of what a freeze is for :)

Richard Braakman