Contributors to magazine ? (forwarded message from Dhirender)

I don't have time to deal with this, but they might be interested in
a contribution from someone else.  I suggest that interested people
mail them.

--- Begin Message ---
Hello Ian,
My name is Dhirender Nirwani, and I am Co-ordinator Special Projects for a monthly computer magazine here in India, called CHIP.
We started publication in India With the April 98 issue, and can safely claim to be India's most popular computer magazines today.

This prompted us to spin off another variation of CHIP, which we called CHIP Special. Through this, we attempted to marry a book and a magazine. It is a book in the sense, that it covers only one particular topic in one issue, attempting to provide an indepth knowledge on that subject, and it is a magazine in terms of its availability, and presentation. To date, we have two CHIP Specials to our credit - one on Windows 98, and the other on the Internet. Each CHIP Special is accompanied with a CD, containing software tied in to the topic, which the reader can use.

We are now planning one on Linux (to be accompanied with two CDs) - this being a subject that is still not very clear to Indians today (just about everybody knows that it is free, and is a very stable operating system, but at the same time, too many myths are also doing the rounds, it being too difficult to install being one), and it is with this in mind, that i have got in touch with you.
Would you be interested in contributing to our magazine.
The focus of the magazine, would be twofold:
1. Inform, and make the reader interested enough to try out Linux
2. Take the reader to a stage where he is able to actually install Linux, and work on it.
Thus, it is aimed more for the novice, rather than the expert.
It would be wonderful, if you would agree to contributing towards the magazine, as it would ensure that the readers get a clearer picture.

I really doubt if we would be able to offer you adequate monetary compensation, not because we don't want to, but rather because we cannot. Right now, we are the largest selling computer magazine in India, but we cannot really claim to be sturdy on a feet as yet. What we can lay claim to however, is a number of firsts - for instance, we were the first computer magazine in India, to offer a free CD with every issue of our magazine. We were also the first to start in our magazine a section devoted to informing professionals (lawyers, architects, doctors) about the different software available for them, and how computers could be useful  for them, in order to encourage them to use computers.

What we are trying to do, is change the computing scenario in India, by providing computing knowledge in a manner that is understandable, interesting, enjoyable and enticing (i would be only too happy to send you a copy of our magazine, if you could send me your address). One reason for our success, is very much the writing, through which we attempt to explain the most technical of terms in the simplest of ways.
That was a little about us. I would be only to happy to furnish you with any more details that you may want.

I hope that you would agree to help us out.
Looking forward to your reply.

Dhirender Nirwani
Co-ordinator Special Projects
CHIP