Re: KDE

> Wichert Akkerman <wichert@cs.leidenuniv.nl> writes:
>
>    Previously Navindra Umanee wrote:
>    > In practical terms, contrib, non-free and main are just different
>    > directories.
>
>    I'm increasingly starting to think that we should do
> something about
>    that. Debian *only* consists of main, contrib and non-free are only
>    there to support users (and ourselves). Debian slink has
> somewhat over
>    1500 packages, not over 2000 as I hear all to many people say.
>
> Hear, hear!  I'm in favor of that.  Do you have a plan, though?

What if we forbade "official" CD's from having any contrib/non-free
on them?  I.e., you could buy the Debian GNU/Linux distribution, which
might be two CD's -- main-binary and main-source.  Then you could
purchase contrib/non-free CD's as separate entities.  They would
really only be "purchasable" for the convenience of the user (i.e., to
avoid mega downloads).

I don't think this would really harm anyone -- the only thing in
non-free I use ATM is Netscape.

-Brent