Re: freedom-subtracted.debian.org (was: Re: KDE)

On Thu, Mar 11, 1999 at 11:38:15PM -0500, Steve Willer wrote:
> I've been thinking about this, and it definitely has some appeal. It
> doesn't limit the user's choices, and it might actually educate them. You
> could even take it a step further and require non-free .debs to have a
> field in them that describes *why* the package is "non-free" (patent
> restrictions, license doesn't allow modified distribution of modified
> binaries, etc.). Then vrms could list this information along with the
> package.

Ian Jackson proposed many months ago that all contrib and non-free packages
contain files called README.why-contrib or README.why-non-free (perhaps he
left out the "why-", I don't remember) that performed this explanatory
function.

It was a good idea, but seems to have been largely ignored.

My package in contrib, xtrs, has a file called
/usr/doc/xtrs/README.contrib-only that fulfills this purpose.

--
G. Branden Robinson              |     "I came, I saw, she conquered."  The
Debian GNU/Linux                 |     original Latin seems to have been