Re: Perl 5.005 package

On Fri, Mar 12, 1999 at 07:35:01PM -0800, Darren/Torin/Who Ever... wrote:

> Zephaniah E. Hull, in an immanent manifestation of deity, wrote:
> >New package set, perl5.005, Provides: perl, Conflicts: perl (<< 5.
> >004.04-7) (or some such), uses versioned directorys, provides binary
> >perl5.005, uses alternatives for who gets the 'perl' binary.
>
> Yes, we've discussed this before.  I even mentioned in my e-mail earlier
> today why this is a problem.  Since dpkg has problems with both
> versioned provides and pre-depends with provides, we can't use provides
> Perl.  This problem goes away if dpkg gets fixed.  I'm not basing my
> hopes on this though.

Err, ignore the Provides, whoops..
(The current packages which depend on perl, when they get updated for
the new perl, will change their depends to the perl5.005 package)

> As I said in my message earlier:
> >Yes, it will breaks lots of things.  Anything that has any XS components
> >needs to be recompiled.  They should depend on the package perl5.005.
> >This will actually be a virtual package so that versioned dependencies
> >will still work with (perl >= 5.005.04).  This dependency will still
> >work when perl5.006 comes out.  This was discussed I think back in
> >December but the refresh is good.
>
> But the problem here is that when we do an install, there will be files
> in /usr/lib/perl5/* and /usr/lib/perl5/i386-linux/5.004/*.  When we
> install the new Perl, it won't look there.  We install both a 5.004 and
> a 5.005, the new perl won't look in the right place.

Actually, it will..

The slightly modified perl5.004 will look where it currently looks,
finding the perl modules for 5.004 (all the current ones)..

perl5.005 looks in the new versioned directorys, not finding the old
modules (which may be incompatible)..

When a module is updated for perl5.005 (the maintainer may choose to
also provide a module for the older perl, via the same means as the
libc5 stuff, or such, but thats up to that maintainer) its put in the
versioned directory tree, as the two packages can coexist, this is not
too much of a problem..

Am I missing something painfully obvious?

Zephaniah E. Hull.