Re: Device detection? [Summary]

On Sun, Mar 14, 1999 at 05:45:34PM -0500, Randolph Chung wrote:
> So to sorta summarize, this is possibly something we want to do, right? The
> approach would be something like this:
>
> 0) On a machine with windows installed, maybe look at the registry to see what
>    devices we can find
> 1) On a PCI system, scan for PCI id's and pick up devices. should be relatively
>    safe
> 2) Scan for PnP devices
> 3) io-port scan for legacy devices
> 4) Scan for SCSI/ATAPI devices
> 5) Allow users to manually add/drop devices
>
> All the while, we'll need to keep some type of a checkpoint log, maybe not
> writing to disk for each device, but do them in blocks.
>
> let's do it! :)

Just a hint for people wanting to work on this. Tom Lees
<tom@lpsg.demon.co.uk> coordinates the PnP driver project for Linux
http://www-jcr.lmh.ox.ac.uk/~pnp/ . As he is also a Debian developer, and
has expressed his interest in adding his driver to the boot-floppies, I
guess you may work together (hey, I may too, if I can finish a few urgent
things before...).

	Thanks,
--
Enrique Zanardi					   ezanardi@ull.es