Re: Intent to package: fbgetty

On Tue, Mar 16, 1999 at 03:17:10PM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> > starting X and exiting it (which almost never works anyway)) ...
> > modprobe matroxfb seems to ALWAYS work because the driver resets the
> > card!
>
> I was under the impression that the reason so many people have problems
> with their VGA card being hosed when leaving X because VGA state saving and
> restoration is different for every card, and imperfectly implemented for
> most cards because the XFree86 developers generally don't have specs.

Leaving X is fine.  Having svgalib apps die is the issue.

> Perhaps the Matrox driver in the SVGA server won't have this problem even
> when going back to the regular textmode console.

No, the X server isn't responsible for restoring text mode, the vt system
is.  And it doesn't do it properly.  framebuffer is the only proper fix
because with the framebuffer device suddenly the vt system DOES know how
to properly reset the cards.

Now if I could figure out how to get to actual real honest to gods TEXT
modes...

"and i actually like debian 2.0 that much i completely revamped the
default config of the linux systems our company sells and reinstalled any
of the linux systems in the office and here at home.."