Re: [IMPORTANT] Disaster Preperations!

On Tue, Mar 16, 1999 at 06:17:50PM -0800, Joseph Carter wrote:

> Nobody has addressed the more significant issue that while -devel is "out
> there", -user is "out there and actively harvested for new email
> addresses" Quite probably nobody CAN address it really, but I consider it
> a serious issue.  I don't have time to wade through the extra spam I would
> get if I started posting things to -user.  If someone else already does
> and gets this crap anyway, well...

Joseph,

	just what the heck are you talking about?  I hardly post to -user
(last week I posted 3 messages, and that was way above my average of 0.3
mails per week), yet I've gotten plenty of UCE because of my posts to these
mailing lists (-devel, -mentors, -legal, -beowulf, ...).  The lists are
archived on a web page, anyone can suscribe to them, the mail addresses of
all of us are visible on the BTS, there are maintainer pages with more
addresses, some of us post to the lists of the packages we maintain, ... it
gets out of control rather quickly.  I don't think avoiding -user is a good
strategy to prevent UCE.

						Marcelo