Re: Beta-testing and the glibc 2.1 (Was: Missing ldd? Have libc6 on hold? Get ldso from slink...

On Wed, 17 Mar 1999, Seth M. Landsman wrote:

> > If you need your machine for "real work" then you shouldn't be running
> > unstable.
>
> 	If debian unstable isn't tested on machines used for real work,
> debian is going to end up a toy distribution which is only suitable for
> work on systems which aren't appropriate for real work.

If your only PC to do "real work" on is running an ever-changing,
developer-suited version of Debian, then you're really asking for some
"mission-critical" failures.  Not having at least a fairly recent backup
before upgrading critical libraries is ridiculous, and it doesn't take a
developer to know that (I offer myself as evidence on that point).

Hell, I got bit by a similar problem when Slink had been frozen for
several weeks (that __register_frame_info business). I had a backup; one
rescue floppy and a massive 'tar -zxvpf' later, I was back in business.

Yes, potato needs to undergo real-world testing. So if you have an extra
machine, run your real work in parallel on potato and slink. But to place
so much trust in others' testing that you'll put your vital stuff solely
on potato is probably overoptimistic and misguided.

--
Mike Renfro  / Instructor, Basic Engineering Program
931 372-3601 / renfro@tntech.edu