Re: slink resc1440 disk does not work on 1GB memory machine

Hi David,

David Bristel writes:
 > Does anyone know if this issue is being addressed by Linus and Co.?  Seems that
 > if it's doable, that it should be a part of the stock kernel, or an option.

I am not sure but I don't think it is currently considered an "issue."
I believe that the current memory implementation in the kernel that
has a 960MB upper limit was chosen since it provided the best
performance.  From what I recall, this issue is discussed on one of
the major Linux virtual memory web sites.  I think I got to it from a
link on Alan Cox's web site.

It would be nice if memory models could be chosen during kernel
configuration so that those who care more about capacity than speed
and who don't know how to hack the kernel could get what they wanted
easily.  ... just a thought.

-Ossama
Ossama Othman <othman@cs.wustl.edu>
58 60 1A E8 7A 66 F4 44  74 9F 3C D4 EF BF 35 88  1024/8A04D15D 1998/08/26