Re: Volume on -devel

On Thu, Mar 18, 1999 at 02:28:11PM +1100, Tyson Dowd wrote:
> I support a move to make debian-devel for the discussion of development
> of Debian (and thus should be largely, but not completely, posted to by
> developers).
>
> A new list (or more than one) to discuss other topics that routinely
> pop up here is necessary.  Perhaps this kind of setup would help (with
> some example topics drawn from current lists).
>
> 	debian-user [..]
> 	debian-unstable [..]
> 	debian-devel [..]
> 	debian-discuss [..]

This is actually a good split of -devel I think.  The question then
becomes how do you get people to use the new lists as appropriate?

> But I think closing the lists is extreme -- by providing appropriate
> forums we can encourage people to post to the right place, instead of
> banning them from posting to the only place available.

I do think removing certain people (read: trolls) would not be a bad
idea.  I've kept my mouth shut on the rest of this thread because I have
no opinion on closing the lists to non-developers.  I posted to the list
before I was a developer and I think some of my input then was rather
useful.  I was one of the people who "came up with" the package pools
idea.  (it was really about 3 of us tossing ideas back and forth that
created it)

In my own defense I may have written many messages this month to this
list, but I can't say many of them have been lacking in content.  Take a
look at the entire device detection thread for example (something that
really interests me and that I've been spending a lot of time on)

If we want something nice to get born in nine months, then sex has to
happen.  We want to have the kind of sex that is acceptable and fun for both
people, not the kind where someone is getting screwed. Let's get some cross
fertilization, but not someone getting screwed.
        -- Larry Wall