Re: Let's CENSOR it! (was: Uploaded anarchism 7.5-1 (source all) to master)

On Thu, Mar 18, 1999 at 09:43:41AM +0000, Enrique Zanardi wrote:
> Our distribution is really big (and growing exponentially).
[...]
> One step in that direction would be to create some rules for "extra"
> sections. Let's take electronic texts as an example for such an "extra"
> section:
[..]
> That way anyone can create a "partial" Debian mirror just excluding the
> "etexts" section, without breaking dependencies on other sections.

Let's do something more general - create a whole new section in range of
main, contrib and non-free - called data. In it we can have subsections
like 'earth', 'space', 'roadmaps', 'books', 'encyclopaedia' etc.
That way we don't add one more >50MB section in binary-$ARCH (we already
have devel which really piss some people off), and enable ourselves
better distinction between types of data.
The functionality we lose with it, is distinction between DFSG-free,
non-free and non-free-dependant packages - but DFSG applies to programs
not pure data, and documents may have a few additional restrictions the
way I see it.

BTW once we persuade one of the FTP maintainers to do it, he can
rename math to science... ;)