Re: glibc2.1 upgrade

Michael Meskes <meskes@debian.org> writes:

> Could anyone please compile a list of packages that have to be
> updated to get a slink/potato system working with glibc2.1? No, I
> cannot use apt at the moment. I have to partially update some
> packages. Or I would have to put lots of packages on hold with the
> same problem.

Unless things have changed, I wouldn't recommend using apt+dselect.  I
probably should have just used apt directly.  I tried a mass upgrade
last week and hosed my entire system.  I had to cannibalize a swap
partition to install a base system to use with dpkg --root to get
things straightened out.  I still don't know exactly what happened,
but I suspect it was caused by the fact that I was installing too many
things along with the glibc upgrade.

dselect was chugging through the install stage, hit some problems with
some packages (which is normal), and eventually got to the "... has
encountered some problems.  Press RETURN to continue."  prompt from
which you normally hit return and then re-run install.  Unfortunately,
at that point it segfaulted and I found myself back at a shell that
couldn't do anything, and I couldn't log in anywhere else because new
shells were all segfaulting (or refusing login) too.

FWIW