Re: We can halve volume by not allowing nondevelopers to post

On Mon, 22 Mar 1999, Steve Greenland wrote:

> On 22-Mar-99, 08:35 (CST), Jules Bean <jmlb2@hermes.cam.ac.uk> wrote:
> >
> > debian-devel:
> >
> > Discussion of debian development. [snip]
> >
> > debian-devel-discuss:
> >
> > The preferred forum for non-developers to make suggestions to debian
> > developers about all aspects of debian development. [snip]
>
> So I have to read both of these. What's the point?

The point is that not everyone will have to choose to read both.  -devel,
being lower volume, will get more developer subscribers, meaning we can
better stay in touch as a community.  -discuss will be subscribed to be
non-developers, plus many developers, like you and me, ywho have mastered
the Zen art of keeping up with high-volume mailling lists.

> > debian-{hamm,slink,potato}
>
> These are a good idea, along with the idea that debian-user points
> to the current stable, and debian-unstable points to the current
> unstable/frozen.

I'm not sure what the links would gain us.  Better that people subscribe
to the right one, as they move between dists.

> > A statement like this might be posted on the lists web-page:
> >
> > The Debian developers sincerely regret the necessity of closing the
> > debian-devel list to posting.  However, it was deemed that the importance
> > of having a public forum to which all developers could subscribe made this
>               ^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> Sorry, it's no longer a public forum. It's private forum that publishes.

Wel, neither private, nor public, describe it properly.  The House of
Commons isn't what I'd call private, but I can't go there and speak up for
myself..

> I think closing the list non-developers is a bad idea. Letting
> proto-developers participate is a good way to get them going, and for
> those of us who don't usually read -user, it's really the only way a
> non-developer would catch our attention (except direct e-mail, bug
> reports, and such)

Which role would be fulfilled by -devel-discuss

Jules