Re: Let's CENSOR it! (was: Uploaded anarchism 7.5-1 (source all) to master)

This is cool - at this rate I'll end up on the frequent posters list :)

On Tue, Mar 23, 1999 at 16:28 -0500, Jonathan P Tomer wrote:
> > If I come across as a bit ratty it's because I'm getting a bit tired
> > of all these people who fail to see that there is any difference between
> > ye_olde_foo.{txt|html} and the fortune files or the bible as distributed by
> > debian. To me it's all about adding value: it's not about being able to
> > read a text/html file, it's about being able to access the information in
> > some unique way
>
> *no* there is *no* difference between ye_olde_foo.txt and the fortunes
> files or the bible. both of them should go into the data distribution
> or nowhere. fortune-mod on the other hand is something special; it
> provides a way to read strfile'd files. the bible-kjv reader may be
> something packageworthy as well; in this case it should be split into
> a separate package (bible-mod, or better yet something more generic)
> so that other things can use it without depending on the text of the
> bible.

OK, you're very welcome to try and use fortune without the fortunes
package. Have fun ;) Now try to use lynx or more in the standard debian
distro. No difference? And even if there were, to suggest putting the data
for the bible reader or fortune in a seperate section would just be plain
nasty to the no doubt highly confused user, and only for the sake of a
highly dubious principle.

I just don't think it makes sense to put data more-or-less essential to a
specific package in a seperate section (in which case gimp-data should
perhaps go in there too...). IMHO it would just cause confusion.

Just to speculate, but if the maps are packaged (which would be a good
thing), they would probably go into debian-data (even if there were a
program which relied on it - common sense has to prevail). This would
probably mean that debian-data would end up on a seperate CD, and we would
have the absurd situation where a program has it's data on a different CD.
Not exactly an optimal solution I'm sure you'll agree.

Cheers
	Dave

--
         Dave Swegen           | Debian 2.0 on Linux i386 2.2.3
<dave@recursive.prestel.co.uk> | PGP key available on request