Re: Let's CENSOR it! (was: Uploaded anarchism 7.5-1 (source all) to master)

On Wed, Mar 24, 1999 at 11:52:08AM +0100, Santiago Vila wrote:

> I think you are confused about this, or you are mixing different
> things here: The dummy xbase package does not "Depend:" on any of the
> new X font packages (and of course, it should not).

yep, you're right.  i was confusing the xfnt -> xfont rename with the split.

> > in any case, he ended up solving it in his own way. it wasn't the same
> > as your way, but it did the job.
>
> Again, this is not true, or you are still mixing completely different
> things, or you are missing the point.
>
> The X font packages do not upgrade automatically.

that depends on what install method you use.

$ dpkg -s xfonts-base
Package: xfonts-base
Section: x11
Installed-Size: 298
Maintainer: Branden Robinson <branden@debian.org>
Source: xfree86
Version: 3.3.2.3a-11
Replaces: xfntbase
Provides: xfntbase
Depends: xbase-clients
Suggests: xfs | xserver
Conflicts: xfntbase
 xfonts-base provides a standard set of low-resolution bitmapped fonts.  In
 most cases is desirable to have the X font server (xfs) and/or an X server to
 make the fonts available to X clients.
 .
 If you are not using a remote font server, you must install this package if
 you are installing an X server.  It contains fonts without which X servers
 will not work.

branden has correctly used the Replaces, Conflicts, and Provides tags in
the control file. this is the correct solution according to the debian
developer documentation.

i believe there is a bug in apt which doesn't process these correctly.
that is a bug in apt which needs to be fixed.

IMO, cluttering the dist with non-essential empty packages is not a good
"solution".

I am aware of the fact that you disagree, and this issue has been
flogged to death in the recent past so lets not start it again now.

craig

--
craig sanders