Re: Let's CENSOR it! (was: Uploaded anarchism 7.5-1 (source all) to master)

On Thu, Mar 25, 1999 at 12:29:56PM +0100, Richard Braakman wrote:
> > Indeed, I understood meaning of Replaces: as 'replaces files from
> > named package' not neccessarily as 'replaces the whole named package'.
>
> The Replaces: header carries both meanings.  It's the second if the package
> also Conflicts: with the named package.

I didn't say otherwise. Still, two packages may have Conflicts: and
Replaces: on the same package, and AFAIK there is no AI in dselect
or apt that could determine which one to automatically install, and
we shouldn't expect that from them.
For example, all MTAs conflict and replace other MTAs (through
mail-transport-agent), but they can't be treated in the same manner
as these renamed packages.

That is why an additional, decisive, lucid, field is needed, that
would enable renaming and obsoleting packages automatically. Or
some other method?