Re: Let's CENSOR it! (was: Uploaded anarchism 7.5-1 (source all) to master)

On Thu, Mar 25, 1999 at 01:36:50PM +0100, Santiago Vila wrote:
> > Since the xbase empty package already exists, users who want a clean
> > system already have to enter dselect selections, find it, and remove
> > it. And while they're there, they might as well remove xfnt* and install
> > xfonts-*. The need for manual intervention is already present, so it
> > doesn't matter much.
>
> I disagree. This is like saying: Since the upgrade is not clean, we should
> not try to make it cleaner.
>
> After an upgrade, having "obsolete" but useful packages in the system
> (like hamm's xfnt100) is worse than having empty compatibility packages
> which may be removed at any time without any side effect (the same xfnt100
> as a dummy package).

I don't feel that way. Both situations are harmless, both are ugly,
and both require user's intervention. Correct me if I'm wrong, but
I don't see how can some fonts (that haven't even changed IIRC) do
anything bad.

Since everything mentioned here is well documented, I would leave
the decision of doing anything to the maintainer.
Hopefully, dpkg development is progressing, so we'll have an ultimate
solution soon.