Re: Let's CENSOR it! (was: Uploaded anarchism 7.5-1 (source all) to master)

Just some details...

On Thu, Mar 25, 1999 at 03:52:39PM +0100, Santiago Vila wrote:
> We are certainly not responsible for *everything* a clueless user may do,
> but if we do not care at all about clueless users, then Debian will never
> be for newbies.
>
> I think we should try to make a distribution for everybody, not only for
> geeks who have a lot of time to read a lot of documents.

Please remember that this is not the only package split in slink and
that there are more things that can go wrong with the upgrade. Besides,
Release Notes is just one, and 'to-the-point' document.

> Only if you have those packages installed.
>
> If you don't have those packages installed (which depend on the xfonts-
> packages, for example), the font packages are not upgraded.

$ apt-cache showpkg /var/cache/apt/pkgcache.bin xfonts-75dpi
Package: xfonts-75dpi
Versions: 3.3.2.3a-11,
Reverse Depends:          <- this doesn't mean Depends:, but others too
  xfs,xfonts-75dpi
  gimp,xfonts-75dpi
  xserver-common,xfonts-75dpi
  xboard,xfonts-75dpi
  xfree86-common,xfonts-75dpi
  xf86setup,xfonts-75dpi
[snip]

It would be quite hard to miss them.

> In turn, I have yet to see a *technical* (not *aesthetical*) reason why
> the dummy packages may not be created.

I'd say it is political: Branden is the maintainer, his word is the
last if it's not a release-critical bug.