Re: Clueless users are bad for debian (was Let's CENSOR it!)

I used to be a clueless user.  (I don't care what you say you ALL used
to be one too! ... some for not as long as for others).  I'm still no
expert.  It seems to me that you can have it both ways.  Make as good a
distribution as possible, and then have another group go the extra mile
to add ease of use.  That's what RedHat TRIES to do.  I don't agree that
all those graphical admin tools are the right way, but they are at least
an attempt.

I think that the only reason graphical tools are usefull are they
provide a menu to act as a starting point.  If you are clueless at the
prompt and all you know is help! (when you mean apropos) you don't know
what to do next.

In closing let me say that with one exception every package from debian
that I installed configured itself into a working state, or provided a
simple means of doing so ... .  The exception was Samba in debian 2.0.
I don't know why, but by using the smb.conf from debian 1.3.1 in place
of the one supplied by 2.0 I got it working again.  Ah heck, must be
Microsoft's fault!
===
Amateur Radio, when all else fails!

http://www.qsl.net/wa2mze