Re: Debian is about providing the best free operating system

On Sun, Jun 11, 2000 at 03:31:48PM +0200, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:

>  Debian is about building the best *free* operatign system

And it could be the best only if it is free.

> In the preamble of the social contract:
> "The Debian Project is an association of individuals who have made common
> cause to create a free operating system."

If we have important duties and no free software to handle it, we must
fulfill this task. Building the best free os can be made only creating
alternatives to most used application. We must cancel non-free, making it
unuseful, IMO.

> The social contract does not mention the non-free area until point 5.
> Instead, it says in 1 "Debian Will Remain 100% Free Software", and in
> 4 "Our Priorities are Our Users and Free Software". This can only be read
> in reference to the points 1 to 3 above. So, our priorities in building the
> free operating system are our users and free software. This is stressed at
> the end of point 4, which says: "To support these goals, we will
> provide an integrated system of high-quality, 100% free software, with
> no legal restrictions that would prevent these kinds of use."

(Ab)using non-free for building more and more free software.

bye
Christian

--
| Christian Surchi           | www.firenze.linux.it/~csurchi    | www. |