Re: Clarifications

    Chris> I would say alot of stuff is the OS - the kernel, glibc,
    Chris> bash, X, my window manager - but to say every application
    Chris> is part of the OS is silly.

I agree.

    Chris> Therefore, in my eyes, to say Debian is a free OS while
    Chris> containing a non-free directory is not contradictory.

(I hate analogies like this, but here goes)

There is no contradiction in a health-food store having a special
section with unhealthy food (as long as it's clearly marked).  But by
the same token, there is no contradiction in the health-food store
ceasing to have such a section (perhaps some big, unhealty store
opened nearby).  It was never the primary purpose; it was there for
convenience at some point in time.

Thus (again), it is not contradictory to the purpose of Debian to
remove non-free software.