Re: why not replace individual programs?

On Tue, 13 Jun 2000, Chris Lawrence wrote:

> FWIW, everything that you can do with xv can be done with some
> combination of the GIMP and xzgv packages in woody.
>
> The only advantage to xv is that the visual schnauzer is probably more
> fun to use than the GIMP's file selector, which (in 1.1.22) only shows
> one preview at a time (xzgv has a nice visual selector, but it has
> virtually no image editing capability).

	I beg to differ with you.  xv is a small and quick graphics
viewer.  The Gimp is a full fletched graphics editing package.  As such,
it is not so spritely to load and, having many many more features than xv,
quite as simple to use as xv _for the purposes of graphics viewing_.

	It is a bit like saying "you don't need cat, you can use
emacs".  Yes, you can, but it's not the same thing.

	Chris Pimlott