Debian Documentation Project
The Debian Documentation Project was formed to coordinate and unify all efforts to write more and better documentation for the Debian system.
- Manual licenses comply with DFSG.
- We use Docbook XML for our documents.
- The sources should be at https://salsa.debian.org/ddp-team
- www.debian.org/doc/<manual-name> will be the official URL
- Every document should be actively maintained.
- Please ask on debian-doc if you like to write a new document
- How to access the git repositories of the DDP
In addition to the normally advertized manuals, we maintain the following manuals that are problematic in one way or another, so we can't recommend them to all users. Caveat emptor.
- Debian Tutorial, obsolete
- Debian Guide, obsolete
- Debian User Reference Manual, stalled and quite incomplete
- Debian System Administrator's Manual, stalled, almost empty
- Debian Network Administrator's Manual, stalled, incomplete
- How Software Producers can distribute their products directly in .deb format, stalled, outdated
- Debian Packaging Manual, partly merged in Debian Policy Manual, the rest will be included in a dpkg reference manual that is yet to be written
- Introduction: Making a Debian Package, obsoleted by Debian New Maintainers' Guide
- Debian Programmers' Manual, obsoleted by Debian New Maintainers' Guide and Guide for Debian Maintainers
- Debian Repository HOWTO, outdated after introduction of secure APT
- Introduction to i18n, stalled
- Debian SGML/XML HOWTO, stalled, obsolete
- Debiandoc-SGML Markup Manual, stalled; DebianDoc is about to being removed