Re: Compiling kernel 2.4.20 on m68k

On Fri, 16 Jan 2004, Lance Tagliapietra wrote:
> Now that I am up and compiling my own kernel, I have observed something
> interesting and was wondering if anyone here had seen it before.
>
> It seems that the configuration item CONFIG_ISA is required to compile
> the kernel for the Amiga (I have not tried the other sub archs).  If
> that item is not set, the kernel compile will get all the way to the
> link with the outp_b(), inb() and inb_p() not defined as described in
> the quoted email message.

In which driver does it complain about the missing outb_p() and friends?

> It seems that the only way to get CONFIG_ISA set is to bring in the
> A1200 PCMCIA support.  I tried to delete this support, as my A2000 does
> not have a PCMCIA, so I thought I could delete support and save RAM.  It
> seems that outp_b(), inb() and inb_p() are defined in
> include/asm-m68k/io.h but only if a specific set of configuration
> options are set up, which includes CONFIG_ISA.

Indeed, the only way to have some form of ISA on the Amiga is Gayle PCMCIA (or
a Golden Gate 2 ISA bridge, but this support isn't integrated yet).

> Interestingly, when I run 'make config' I do not get a prompt for the
> CONFIG_ISA.

Yep, because it depends on Gayle PCMCIA support.

> Is this correct behavior, or am I missing something.  This is with the
> 2.4.20 kernel file set and the m68k patches.

> > > kernel/kernel.o: In function `access_process_vm':
> > > kernel/kernel.o(.text+0x833c): undefined reference to `is_dumpable'
> > > drivers/block/block.o: In function `floppy_hardint':
> > > drivers/block/block.o(.text+0x268a): undefined reference to `inb'
> > > drivers/block/block.o(.text+0x26ae): undefined reference to `outb_p'
> > > drivers/block/block.o(.text+0x26c6): undefined reference to `inb_p'
> > > make: *** [vmlinux] Error 1
> >
> > floppy_hardint() is a routine from the PC-style floppy driver. Probably it was
> > enabled before you copied Config.amiga.

Do you still have CONFIG_FLOPPY enabled? That's the PC style floppy. Please
disable it when building an Amiga-only kernel, since it won't work.

You only want to enable CONFIG_FLOPPY on m68k if you're building a kernel for
Q40/Q60 or Sun-3x.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

						Geert

							    -- Linus Torvalds