Getting 320x200 in X, Installing Gnome with apt-get

Hi,
I'm planning to diagnose and configure my sound hardware on the X side in KDE, and am also somewhat interested in the GUI side in general. It seems my sound does not work at least in Festival or else it might just be the mixer settings. However, I'll be starting another thread for these sound problems if I don't get them solved later on, so consider this just background info.

I just installed KDE by plainly issuing:

apt-get install kde

What's the equivalent for getting Gnome 2.4 or later up and running like that if any? I'd like to try out Gnopernicus at some point, too.

You might have noticed a change in my attitude. I was thinking not to install X at all and keep some kind of a minimalist system but it turned out I have a lot more disk space than I thought, as i wiped out my Win 9X before the installation.

Anyway, my primary question is how to get X to use such low resolutions as 320x240 or 320x200?

If it is lowRes enough, it will scroll the screen and track the mouse as not everything fits on the screen. This is exactly what I'm aiming at, being able to use KDE magnified like this, and later on also Gnome with Gnopernicus.

My video card is ATi 3D Rage pro and the monitor is Panasonic Panasync P50. I've configured X by running the Xfree wizard or whatever:

dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86

I told it to manage the config file itself and went with the defaults in most cases. It asked me for video card info and I chose the r128 driver and gave it the PCI info obtained with lspci. When configuring the monitor, I chose simple, 15 inches and 1024x768, 800x600 and 640x480.

Now, I've been trying to hack the lowRes stuff by modifying the screen section in /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 My default color depth is 16 bit and i've appended some lower resolutions here:

SubSection "Display"
               Depth           16
               Modes           "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480" "320x200"
       EndSubSection

When trying to switch resolutions in X with ctrl+alt numpad plus or minus it does switch between a few but it seems the lowest it takes is something like 640x480. It scrolls slightly in the lowest resolution but not much really.

There's also a passage liek this near the end:

Section "DRI"
       Mode    0666
EndSection

Does the DRI section specify some kind of a default resolution I should be changing? Actually, I would not mind if the only resolution in X was 320x200 as not many sighted people will be using that LInux machine anyway.

Also, what does it mean when it says in the beginning comments that I should not modify the lines in the DEBCONF section? Do I have to specify that I'll manage this config file myself, or what might be the reason why it's not taking into account my lower resolutions?

Another unlikely explanation that came to mind is that the Rage driver somehow limits the possible resolutions you can have. I suppose vesa would be a safe bet.

Any help greatly appreciated.

--
With kind regards Veli-Pekka Tätilä (vtatila@mail.student.oulu.fi)
Accessibility, game music, synthesizers and more: