Re: Networking and software speech with Speakup

On Wed, Aug 25, 2004 at 10:10:43PM +0300, Veli-Pekka Tatila wrote:
> Hi Kenny,
> Having just accidentally deleted your original I had to dig it up in the
> archives. I'm posting with the same subject so hope it'll occupy the right
> place in the message tree, hehe.
>
> Kenny Hitt wrote:
> >You probably want to try modconf.
> >Since it was detected in Woody, it should have still worked if you
> >upgraded to a newer Debian kernel package.
> I suppose so, too.

Oopse, I made a big mistake.  Moving from 2.2x to 2.4x or 2.6x isn't an
upgrade.  It's an install of a different kernel.
Moving from kernel 2.4.20 to 2.4.26 is an upgrade.

> >What is the contents of your
> >/etc/modules
> I'll have to chec this one as well. Here it is:
> af_packet

The driver for your card in a 2.2 kernel was "af_packet".  The driver
name has changed in 2.4 and 2.6 kernels.  Try using modconf while
running a later kernel to find the correct driver.

> Remember that this is a pre-compiled 2.4 series kernel and not the 2.6
> kernel patched with speakup we tried earlier. That 2.6 kernel did have
> proper networking. Here's what lspci says about my NIC:
> 0000:00:09.0 Ethernet controller: 3Com Corporation 3c900 10BaseT [Boomerang]

If you don't want to mess around with modconf, boot with a 2.4 or 2.6
kernel that has your network working and use lsmod to see what module it
uses.  You should be able to add the module name to /etc/modules and it
will work on the other kernels.  It's one of the 3com drivers, but I'm
not sure which one.

> >suspect your friend is building the kernel from
> >source.
> Yes and no. We tried three different methods:
>
> -2.4 pre-compiled speak-up kernel: discarded because it was an old version
> not supporting software speech yet.

Software speech in speakup is still a new feature.  You will need the
latest CVS speakup to get the best results.  The 2.4 kernel with speakup
in Debian is used to build accessible versions of Debian installer.
There's no point in supporting software speech since software speech
requires a working sound card and other programs to work.  During the
initial install, a hardware synth is the only way to go.

> -2.6 pre-compiled kernel: didn't auto-detect network card meaning my friend
> couldn't get on the machine through SSH. Also no sound either.
>
> -2.6 kernel patched with Speakup sources. This one complained about not
> being able to open the initial console or something like that. Also no
> sound for some reason though the network did work.

That means you have something wrong in the config for this one.  Since
the network works, you can check through it's config and see what driver
it uses to help with using other kernels.  Since it already has speakup,
you might want to just fix it's other config problems and use it as your
kernel.

> -2.4 precompiled kernel: This is what I'm currently running. The same
> problems as above no network and no sound. My friend actually managed to
> delete the 2.2 kernel backup we had by messing up something with ln I
> think. What's the easiest way of getting the 2.2 Stable kernel image again,

I wouldn't bother with a 2.2 kernel.  If you really want to try, boot
from the disk you used to do the install and use it as a rescue disk to
install the 2.2 kernel.  Since you are using this disk as a rescue disk,
you will have to be careful what you do to keep from distroying your
installed system.  Your safest (and probably easiest) way to fix this is
just find the correct driver and use a newer kernel.

> >patched with the latest CVS version
> >of speakup, flite, speech-dispatcher, and speechd-up.
> Umm what are these last two? My friend said he got it working with F-Lite
> and Speakup only, I think. Not sure about this, though.

To find out about speech-dispatcher, type "apt-cache show
speech-dispatcher" from a shell prompt.  Speechd-up is a
speech-dispatcher client that translates the data from the softsyn
device to valid input for speech-dispatcher.

> >I'm typing this using speakup with festival as my
> >synth.
> Cool, I've heard Festival Light is more responsive meaning it will react
> quicker. Is the difference really significant? Also, have you used Yasr or
> Screader and how do they compare to Speakup? I've never used a real console
> screen reader on the DOS side. I just used magnification back then and my
> first real screen reader was for Win95.

I'm on a fast box, so it's hard to say.  Flite is probably more
responsive than festival, but festival has better voices.  I'm mostly a
speakup user who only uses yasr occasionally.  Speakup uses the keypad
like ASAP.  ASAP was my last DOS screen reader, so I like it's aproach.
Yasr's commands are like a DOS screen reader called Vocal-eyes.  I never
used Vocal-eyes, so I don't like it's commands as much.  Screader
doesn't seem to be getting any development, so I haven't tried it.

Hope this helps.
          Kenny