Re: Networking and software speech with Speakup

Hi Kenny,
I'm snipping heavily as I've resolved the networking stuff. THX to everyone taking part.

Kenny Hitt wrote:
software speech requires a working sound card and other programs to
work.  During the initial install, a hardware synth is the only way
to go.
I see what you mean. That is software speech would require perfect auto-detection of most sound cards as well as setting the channel gains right, and so on.

A crazy idea, howabout using the PC speaker?
I've read you have to nastily hook into some timer and know from experience that the sound quality is far from good. Stil, could this really work? Playing audio through the beeper would theoretically work pretty much on all PCs apart from certain kinds of laptops. I remember the 1.0 version of the Finnish speech synth Mikropuhe used this method to speak through the beeper before sound cards were common in DOS at all. Some games, like Pinball Dreams, were even able to mix Amiga MOD files through the infernal speaker, which was highly cool back then.

Speaking of modern sound cards, would all AC97 cards work with a universal driver in Linux? HOwabout a generic driver for all Sound Blaster compatibles and clones?

Flite is probably more responsive than festival, but festival has better voices.
Umm, does Flight use LoFi Festival voices? I mean, the default Flight voice sounds a lot like Festival to me at least, only its a bit shakier, almost sad sounding, and a bit more LoFi, too.

I've never used any DOS screen readres as I said earlier, so I cannot really comment on Vocalize vs ASAP.

Screader doesn't seem to be getting any development, so I
haven't tried it.
I tried compiling from sources in a RedHat system some time back. ANd it looks as though it was written in ancient C, I mean K&R first edition C-style, or something.

PS:
Should we change the subject line again?

--
With kind regards Veli-Pekka Tätilä (vtatila@mail.student.oulu.fi)
Accessibility, game music, synthesizers and more: